Monday, December 20, 2010

Things - a large application is losing its Shine?

Things Sync Error

Talk about a stupid, Snape error message. The above is a synchronization error in the application management tasks things. He said: "Abort." Things Mac has been disconnected unexpectedly. ".

OH really? Things Mac - at the exact time of the error - was run quite happily on my MacBook Pro - and my MBP was sitting on one foot away from the iPad trying to sync with it on my local Wi - Fi network. So what caused this error? I've switched away from objects via command-tab and had another application in the foreground.

Recently, I'm seeing a number of occasions where Things sync somewhat gets his knickers in a twist, despite the good on my LAN - all be occasions where sync seems to freeze, saying is the iPad waiting for the iPad is alive and kicking and do his best for synchronization.

It's a pain in ass right won, but it is more than a nuisance that sync is already a major weak point to things. It is a major weakness because it supports not over-the-air (OTA) sync. If you want to sync to work between your Mac and your iPad or your iPhone, you already have both on the same local network and have your Mac on (synchronization does not appear as the Mac is in sleep mode either). It whenever I'm in, or even simply on a couch at home, but at a time where my MacBook is in standby mode, if I suddenly feel an important task I email myself and then get into things next time I'm at my desk. This happens much.

The fact is over-the-air sync is a crucial factor enough for serious productivity applications now - many of the best are supported. Many are supported via strong 3rd party services - e.g. 1Password sync via dropbox. Things is clearly a premium productivity app. price accordingly to $50 for the Mac version is $20 for iPad and $10 for the version of the iPhone version.

Therefore it is more that a bit disappointing that the application has not yet added synchronization options online at all--even if they cannot yet build functionality themselves, I don't think it's that hard to add on box deposit or a similar service. Much more disappointing for me, is that code, developers of objects, have stopped communicating with their users on this topic - completely. Their "status" for their work on this feature has not changed in the months and their blog has not been updated for more than 8 months.

For me, good support is an important part of what makes a great application, and communicating with users is an important part of good support. Lack of code grown communication takes an it shine off the coast of their great app. I hate saying that because I am a huge fan of objects - but sync things continued to get worse not better I just can't help.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure that you subscribe to my RSS feeds! Tagged as: iPad Apps, iPad task management apps Things

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts